Saturday, March 6, 2010

This is my brain, on acid.

Acid does funny things to the mind.

Whenever I'm on a bike ride - no matter how intense or leisurely - the final stretch becomes agonizing. Some of it is fatigue after two hours on the trail, but most of it is my conditioned r
esponse to acid.

Lactic acid, I mean.

My tired quads start burning, and I start wondering silly things like whether I'll even be able to make it home.

It's not like the last mile is more challenging than the rest of my ride. I think just knowing the adventure is almost over
causes me to drag my feet - or wheels. The exhilaration of the ride is coming to a close, and instead of finishing well, I dread ending it.

The same thing's going on with my mind as I round my last collegiate lap. Graduation is in May. Job hunting is even sooner. I see the end of this particular life journey, and instead of pushing triumphantly to the end, I dread the conclusion of this ride.

Lactic acid panic of the brain.

If only I could figure out some way to change my response to lactic acid from dread to a burst of enthusiasm, I'd feel much better about the entire ride.

Who wants to end on a sorry whimper when you can sprint to the finish?

While I work on this problem, I'll continue to use my performance-enhancing drug of choice: black, home-brewed Caribou Blend coffee.


By the way, the title of the post is a nod to this classic 90's anti-drug commercial, starring Minnesotan native Rachael Leigh Cook: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kci12O2EI8I

No comments:

Post a Comment