Friday, February 26, 2010

Better Late Than Never: True or False?

I am a senior at Mizzou and JUST viewed my first True/False Film Festival film. A highly-acclaimed and -recognized film festival has sat, literally, blocks from my home for the past three years, and only tonight did I attend. And loved it, I might add.

Thanks to the Missouri School of Journalism, I got two free tickets to a flick. I chose The Invention of Dr. NakaMats because it looked quirky. It was. The director was there, along with one of the film's score composers (the other composer, Mark Mothersbaugh, was unfortunately not present).

See a preview here.

The film reminded me a lot of my own trip to Hong Kong in fall of 2006. We had a media guru/documentary filmmaker with us and met a character much like Dr. NakaMats - loud, slightly out of touch with westernized & youthcentric culture, unapologetic and seemingly unaware. Loveable, in his own way, but also very trying, at times.

So - does the saying "better late than never" apply to the True/False Film Festival? I think my tea bag answers that. According to the tag on the tea bag I opened after returning from the film, "You're never too old to become younger," - Mae West.

Coincidence? False.

On a side note, I just learned about Canadian figure skater Joannie Rochette's personal tragedy in the face of national attention. Watching her skate tonight and take the bronze medal despite having lost her mom on Sunday was a beautiful display of strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment